8-15 June 2019
24-31 August 2019
A new world of image making will open up through creative experiments, as emphasis of this course is not only on the physical methods of the mediums or on the ability to produce multiples or limited edition prints. Emphasis is placed on the experimental and visual possibilities that printmaking offers, allowing participants to develop their intellectual, creative and critical abilities through a variety of processes used in combination or on their own.
This is a full-time immersion program which gives participants the opportunity to explore several aspects of the print medium and experiment combinations of printmaking techniques.
Day 1: Guests will be picked up in Torre de Passeri where the coach from Rome airports stop (check prontobusitalia.it for bus schedules). We can arrange a pick up at Pescara airport or at Pescara railway station for a supplement of € 80 both ways.
After settling in, your tutor will lead a brief introduction on the course. A welcome dinner with your fellow guests will end the day.
- Day 2: The course starts introducing the art of Monoprints and Monotypes: A first and exciting introduction to the art of printmaking. Students can expect to create numerous prints during this day as we will cover a wide range of techniques using oil based and waterbased inks and colors. Embossed prints will be introduced at this stage.
- Day 3: Drypoint etching: participants will complete a small edition of prints from metal plates worked entirely without acids; the metal surface will be altered with a drypoint needle, areas of the plate will be darkened with sandpaper and lightened with a scraper and burnisher. The great attraction of drypoint lies in the softness and velvety warmth of the print. A visit to S. Clemente abbey in the Afternoon will end the day
- Day 4: Woodcut and Linocut: you will learn how to transfer an image to a block, manage the cutting and proofing stages, learn about correct registration to print accurately aligned prints. We will also work on the reduction method of printing which involves cutting away portions of the block after printing each color thus creating a multi-color print by using one block only. Embossing is once more introduced to print our carved blocks.
- Day 5 and 6: Etching: you will learn how to prepare a plate, bevel the edge, degrease, apply hard ground, draw and finally etch and print the plate. You will also develop an image in layers of line and tone and explore a variety of textures by using soft ground with textural material, eg: leaves, foil, fabric, feathers, netting. Aquatint will be used to create various different effects as well as tone variations.
There will also be a short workshop on print conservation and mat cutting for perfect print presentation.
Half day excursion to Serramonacesca and Manoppello
- Day 7: Sugarlift. Participants will explore the qualities of Sugar Lift, which is a way of creating brush strokes etched into the plate and printed as a black or a dark tone. Spit Biting or painting directly on to the surface of a plate to create a mark much like that of a water colour, will also be covered.
Students are also encouraged to further explore what they learned by creating works with a combination of techniques incorporating chine collé. Xerox transfers might also be discussed depending on time.
Day 8: Departure day. After breakfast you will be transferred back to Pescara airport or Pescara station, taking home with you new skills and a memorable experience
€ 950 all inclusive (there are no more extras or hidden costs)
7 nights accommodation - private room
no single supplements for solo travellers
breakfast, lunch, evening meals
6 days intensive workshops, morning and afternoon
all printmaking materials, including inks, metal plates and paper
certificate of completion
local pick up (for Pescara airport or railway station, a supplement of € 80 applies)
Non painting companions are welcome to join at a reduced price: € 450.
For enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2019 Dedalo. All rights reserved.