Botanical painting and printmaking
9-16 June 2018
- This short course is ideal as an introduction to botanical painting and printmaking. You will develop your drawing skills and learn how to use watercolours effectively to create work inspired by nature and most importantly, you will be able to successfully complete botanical illustrations and compositions which will be transferred onto a zinc plate and printed to create a small edition which will be also watercolored and textured. We will also explore the art of monoprinting using oil based and waterbased inks, a great way to produce an image which is more spontaneous and experimental.
This course is based on step-by-step demonstrations as well as independent work based on student abilities.
The programme starts with the study of simple shapes such as grasses, twisting leaves and flower shapes with the exploration of different greens mixed with different colors. You will also learn how to take detailed photographs and use them for future reference material. Composition types, color mixes, flower and seed study will all be taught in easy manageable ways.
Day 1:Guests will be picked up in Torre de Passeri where the coach from Rome airports stop (check prontobusitalia.it for bus schedules). We can arrange a pick up at Pescara airport or at Pescara railway station for a supplement of € 80 return transfer.
Programme for total beginners:
After settling in, your tutor will lead a brief introduction on the course. A welcome dinner with your fellow guests will end the day.
- Day 2-7: Drawing line and tonal. Using watercolors, techniques for botanical painting.washes and dry brush, color mixing, pen and ink, etching a zinc plate, applying watercolor to an etching, monoprints and monotypes with oil based and waterbased colors, aquatinting a plate for tonal values. Setting up workspace and lighting.
Day 8: Departure day after breakfast
How to observe and take pictures for future use as a reference material. Finally we will discuss composition techniques to produce a final work of art which will be etched on a zinc plate, printed in a small edition and watercolored.
€ 950 all inclusive (there are no more extras or hidden costs)
- 7 nights accommodation / private room
- no single supplements for solo travellers
- breakfast, lunch, evening meals
- 6 days intensive workshops, morning and afternoon
- all materials, including zinc plates, paper, inks and colors
- local pick up in Torre dei Passeri
Non painting companions are welcome to join at a reduced price of € 450
Copyright © 2018 Dedalo. All rights reserved.